[Dovecot-news] Commercial features in Dovecot future: Object storage, archive

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 12 13:33:45 EET 2012

Hi all,

Dovecot Oy’s web pages at www.dovecot.fi have been updated. The products page lists two features that will be available for commercial licensing, extending the functionality of the basic open-source version of Dovecot.

* Storing emails to (high-latency) object storage, initially supporting Amazon S3, Caringo CAStor and Scality.

* Email archive storage.

See http://www.dovecot.fi/products/index.html for details.

I’ve been developing Dovecot for over 10 years now. For a long time it was my primary motivation in life to create the best IMAP server available :) I think I've pretty much accomplished that by now.

The future is looking very bright for Dovecot: we will continue the open source development stronger than ever, but in addition, for the long term it needs some additional licensed components that bring the money to cover the cost for future Dovecot development and to be able to build up the support in a professional way.

These new features will be added as plugins on top of Dovecot to extend the functionality. Note that I’m not just randomly choosing which features will be open and which will be licensed. Only some specific features will be licensed where my company is going to make money with partnerships and in other measurable ways.