[Dovecot] convert wu-imap Maildir format to dovecot

Alin Osan al at casa.org.ro
Sun Sep 21 15:46:15 EEST 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 15:34, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Mail or Maildir? ..

Maildir. I also lets you put folders in a Mail directory, but that has
nothing to do with Maildir. From IMP you can create an imap directory
pretty much where you want.

> I don't really know what format uw-imap's maildir patch uses, but I'm
> guessing it's not Maildir++ which Dovecot and Courier use. Maildir++
> works like:

No, it's not Maildir++, that is my problem.

> ~/Maildir/{cur,new,tmp} = INBOX
> ~/Maildir/.folder/{cur,new,tmp} = folder
> ~/Maildir/.folder.subfolder/{cur,new,tmp} = folder.subfolder
>
> ie. everything under ~/Maildir/, hierarchies separated by dot.
>
> I've been thinking on supporting something like what I'd guess uw-imap's
> maildir uses:
>
> ~/Maildir/{cur,new,tmp} = INBOX
> ~/Maildir/folder/{cur,new,tmp} = folder
> ~/Maildir/folder/subfolder/{cur,new,tmp} = folder/subfolder

Yes, that is the format used by wu-imap.

> One bad thing with that format is that you can't have mailbox named cur,
> new or tmp. Anyway, supporting that format isn't really in my short term
> plans..

No problem, I think that a converter added to dovecot would be a much
better solution.

> Hmm. Was it also uw-imap's maildir patch that added the UID into maildir
> filename like: 12345,U=uid? I was also considering on supporting it, but
> I think it had some problems..

No, it's not IMO.
Thank you, Timo.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
--
Alin Osan