[Dovecot] Track when user last checked mail

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Apr 26 16:46:09 EEST 2005

--On Monday, April 25, 2005 3:25 PM -0600 Del Stoliker
<dstoliker at alphagraphics.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there's a way to keep track of the last time a user
> checked their email and whether they checked it using POP or IMAP.

This won't tell you whether IMAP or POP was used, but you can look at the
atime on the inbox to see when it was last read.

The problem I ran into with this approach was that my verify pass on my
backup job would read every file on the system, touching the atime's. To
get around this, my verify script would remount the filesystem with noatime
for the duration of the verify. So there was a window of an hour or two
during which I might miss a user's access.