[Dovecot] LDAP authenticated bind support

J.M. Maurer mmaurer at betterbe.com
Fri Dec 2 14:28:12 EET 2005

Recently at Better.be we implemented LDAP authenticated bind support for
dovecot. A patch against CVS HEAD is attached.

I have not tested it against all possible configurations one can use,
but the basic operation seems to be right.

As documented in the patch, it adds one new option to the
dovecot-ldap.conf configuration file:

  # Set "auth_bind" to "yes" if you want to use "authenticated binds"
  # as a login validation mechanism. NOTE: the pass_attrs option
  # will (naturally) be ignored if you enable this
  auth_bind = yes

Authenticated bind support is implemented asynchronously. This involves
2 asynchronous calls: the first being 'ldap_search' to find the dn to
bind against and the second being the actual 'ldap_bind' call.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Regards,
  Marc Maurer
  Better.be B.V.