[Dovecot] Dovecot reports zero messages erroneously (JFS)

Chris Spiegel dovecot at happyjack.org
Sat Oct 29 20:52:46 EEST 2005

On Saturday 29 October 2005 03:57 am, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 23:00 -0700, Chris Spiegel wrote:
> >
> > JFS on Linux 2.6.13.  I'm just using the default mount options, so no
> > noatime, if that would be an issue.
>
> Thought so. I've heard before too that JFS doesn't update directory's
> mtime when files are added/removed/renamed. Although some people say
> that mtime is updated with their JFS. Maybe it's somehow configurable?
> Anyway, that's the problem and I'd rather not add any kludgy workarounds
> to Dovecot for it.

Well it's certainly a JFS issue, you're right.  JFS does update the mtime when
files are created ( via open()/creat() ), removed, and renamed into a
directory.  However, it doesn't update when a new link is created in a
directory, which is of course how maildir delivery works.  I'll head on over
to the JFS mailing list to get their input.

Thanks,
Chris