[Dovecot] UID sync errors

Patrick MacDonald admin at athensguy.com
Mon Jun 26 04:16:33 EEST 2006

Hello,

I recently converted my 300+ email user system over to Dovecot.  It is working
fantastically, except for UID sync errors.  I read everything I could find and
only saw others with those problems in version 0.99 below.  My log shows
errors like this all day long for pretty much all users:

dovecot: Jun 25 19:12:46 Error: POP3(nmichel): Maildir
/home/rtb/users/nmichel/.Maildir sync: UID < next_uid (42 < 43, file =
msg.oP8c:2,)
dovecot: Jun 25 19:25:59 Error: IMAP(lcrowe): Maildir
/home/dentist/users/lcrowe/.Maildir sync: UID inserted in the middle of
mailbox (70 > 4, file = msg.AM81:2,)

When this happens, IMAP and POP3 drop the connections sending errors to their
clients.  I use squirrelmail over IMAP and some new emails never appear until
I delete the index files.

I have tried deleting indexes, and the problem continued.  I went from
dovecot-1.0.beta3 to dovecot-1.0.beta9 and still happens.  The only way it
doesn't happen is when I append the INDEX=MEMORY trick as in:

default_mail_env = maildir:~/.Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

but then it's all so slow for large mailboxes, it's painful.

Here are some of my specs:
    Linux kernel 2.6.15
    Maildir
    Auth from /etc/shadow
    Users from /etc/passwd

Does anyone have any hints on where I should start?

Thanks in advance.  I love Dovecot. I really hope I can get this resolved.

Patrick MacDonald
admin at athensguy.com