[Dovecot] Extra_fields / first check userdb?

Leroy van Logchem leroy.vanlogchem at wldelft.nl
Wed Nov 29 08:58:53 UTC 2006

>> I would like to supply a few users with extra_fields. All users are
>> found by
>> PAM first so the userdb passwd-file doesnt seem to be used. How to alter
>> the lookup sequence? We can't remove the accounts from the central passwd,
>> just for Dovecot.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Leroy
>>

> You can have multiple authentication databases:-
>
> passdb passwd-file {
>     args = /etc/dovecot/special-users
>   }
>
> passdb pam {
>   }
>
> This works for us when we want to specify proxying, but presumably you'd
> need to have some form of password field in "special-users" otherwise.

Thanks for the pointer Chris. It works now, using:
<snip>
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /drbd/imap/dovecot-1.0.rc15/etc/userdb_extra
  }
  passdb pam {
  }
  userdb passwd-file {
    args = /drbd/imap/dovecot-1.0.rc15/etc/userdb_extra
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  user = root
}
<snip>

Where the userdb_extra file contains entries like:
username::2000:2000::/u/username::userdb_mail=mbox:/u/username/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

--
Leroy