[Dovecot] How Dovecot handles email changed by file operations

Craig Jackson CJackson at abbott-simses.com
Tue Oct 10 18:20:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

We have been using Courier-imap for a few years. I am always in the
process of reviewing competing software, and hence my interest in
Dovecot.

Question: If email files are moved between IMAP folders (on the same
IMAP server or a different one) or deleted using shell scripts, how does
this impact Dovecot's indexes or its method of keeping track of the
email? How likely is index or file corruption or race condition? An
example, is the centralized removal of mail in all users' Junk folder
older than 30 days.

We use Maildir format and Dovecot 1.0-RC7 with Mysql. We have about 150
users.

Thanks.
Craig