[Dovecot] about index cache

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 13 18:38:24 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 17:23 +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 06:06:38PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > So Dovecot remembers what fields client is interested of and when header
> > is being parsed it caches everything that it knows the client wants.
>
> For how long does dovecot remember which headers?  e.g. what happens if a
> user switches to another mail client which downloads less headers?  How
> long will the now unused headers still be indexed?

From TODO:

    - compression should drop fields with last_used <
      (latest_mail_index_date - month)

:)

Maybe I should finally implement this for v1.1.

Anyway there is already a difference between permanently cached fields
and temporarily cached fields. With most clients (non-webmail, non-Pine)
Dovecot uses the temporary rule and the fields get dropped the next time
cache is compressed (which usually happens after enough messages are
expunged). I should make the compression happen also once in a while to
make sure that temporary fields are dropped..