[Dovecot] "Not connected to database" MySQL errors

Cassidy B. Larson alandaluz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 22:28:01 UTC 2007

I've been in the process of moving my pop3 proxy over to the dovecot proxy.
I have a ton of users using pop3 still, and am seeing these errors  popup
within a minute or so of the connection to the database:

Password query failed: Not connected to database

Eventually the auth-worker will reconnect to the database and things will go
on normal for another minute or two, then the same issue occurs.  I'm runing
MySQL 5.0.22 on FreeBSD 6.1.  I upgraded to 5.0.27, however I started
getting the: "Password query failed: Commands out of sync; you can't run
this command now" error instead.  So I downgraded until I could figure out
this issue first.

I've tried connecting to localhost, /tmp/mysql.sock, and a remote server and
all exhibit the same problem. The MySQL idle timeouts shouldnt come into
play because I'm constantly having users check their accounts.

Any insights will be useful,

Thanks!

Cassidy

### Part of my dovecot.conf that might be useful:
  login_process_per_connection = yes
  login_processes_count = 3
  login_max_processes_count = 512

  auth_verbose = yes
  auth_debug = yes
  auth_debug_passwords =yes
  auth_worker_max_count = 400

  auth mail.infowest.com {
    mechanisms = plain

    passdb sql {
      args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
    }
    userdb static {
      args = uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/dev/null
    }
    user = root
    # Number of authentication processes to create
    count = 10

## dovecot-sql.conf
driver = mysql
connect = host=/tmp/mysql.sock dbname=iwmailsystem user=imap_proxy
password=***** client_flags=65536
default_pass_scheme = MD5
password_query = CALL pop_auth('%u','%l','%r')