[Dovecot] deliver as LMTP server?

Leonardo Lanzi leonardo.lanzi at fi.infn.it
Fri Jan 5 17:07:18 UTC 2007

> One other question; has anybody considered writing a tool that
> integrates Dovecot's deliver script and an LMTP server?  I'm
> architecting my system so that my internet facing SMTP is Postfix, but
> the mail folders live on a different machine.  Right now, I'm
> considering putting a highly restricted Postfix on the internal machine,
> which only accepts forwards from the external machine.  IWBNI I could
> eliminate that extra Postfix process by just letting the external one
> deliver to an LMTP on the internal machine, which was integrated with
> Dovecot's deliver.
>
> Does anything like that exist?  I have a reasonably robust Python LMTP
> server in the current Mailman trunk.  Would it be insane to try to marry
> that with deliver? ;)
>
> -Barry

Dear Barry,

there is at least one interested in.
Last days of November, I was searching some hints for an LMTP server,
able to deliver like dovecot lda:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-November/017848.html
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-November/017850.html
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-November/017854.html

As you can see, I've to setup a similar environment; in particular, the
need of an lmtp server comes from hundreds of mailing-lists.
Now I'm working only on a small lmtp server in C [not using inetd or
similar like the one from pll] and calling deliver for each good mail,
but it would be very interesting for my work trying also something
different, and better.

Leonardo