[Dovecot] some Maildir files not honoring dovecot-shared

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Wed Jan 10 06:54:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:15:58AM -0500, Glenn Leavell wrote:

> I'm using RC15 on Solaris 9.  The wiki indicates that when a dovecot-shared
> file exists, "Dovecot uses the same permissions and GID when it creates
> index files, dovecot-uidlist file, new mail files, etc."   In my case,
> Dovecot *is* creating new index files based on dovecot-shared, but
> dovecot-uidlist and individual message files don't completely match the
> permissions/group template.  Specifically, dovecot-uidlist isn't
> taking the group from dovecot-uidlist, and individual messages files
> don't seem to be honoring dovecot-shared at all (group or permissions).

I don't know if the following is related to the above, but I thought I'd
include it here just in case.  After setting umask = 0007 in dovecot.conf,
dovecot-uidlist, dovecot.index, and dovecot.index.log are not created with
the new mask; however, the maildir parent directory, cur, new, tmp, and the
maildirfolder file *are* created with the new mask:

$ ls -l
total 12
drwxrwx---   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan 10 01:37 cur/
-rw-------   1 glenn    adm           44 Jan 10 01:37 dovecot-uidlist
-rw-------   1 glenn    adm          120 Jan 10 01:37 dovecot.index
-rw-------   1 glenn    adm           24 Jan 10 01:37 dovecot.index.log
-rw-rw----   1 glenn    adm            0 Jan 10 01:37 maildirfolder
drwxrwx---   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan 10 01:37 new/
drwxrwx---   2 glenn    adm          512 Jan 10 01:37 tmp/

I'm experimenting with using the umask setting for shared folders.  In the
case of sharing, won't the index files, etc. need to be readable by the
sharing group as well?

Thanks,
Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology