[Dovecot] Updated v1.1 and summer plans

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 21 16:02:18 EEST 2007

Webmail.us will be sponsoring my Dovecot development for this summer.
Other companies are also welcome to participate in the costs.
Participation gets you:

  - listed in Credits in www.dovecot.org
  - listed in AUTHORS file
  - you can tell me how you want to use the feature and I'll make sure
that it supports it (within reasonable limits)

For already implemented v1.1 features, see
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-April/021974.html

Some of those features require some more testing (new SORT and THREAD
code especially) and a bit of fixes to mailbox list indexes. Otherwise I
think it's working pretty well already, I've been using it for a long
time for my own mails.

Upcoming v1.1 features, more or less implemented in this order:

  - Index file optimizations:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-May/022591.html
  - Less indexing for POP3 users (both in pop3 and in deliver)
  - Replace Squat FTS indexes with my new design
  - Configurable mail_log plugin
  - Limit number of connections for a user
  - A combined LIST + STATUS command (or possibly NOTIFY extension?
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gulbrandsen-imap-notify-03)
  - Fully supported shared mailboxes and IMAP ACL extension:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-April/021624.html
  - Remote (shared) mailboxes. Automatic proxying, but possibly also
support for MAILBOX-REFERRALS extension if it's not much extra trouble
(few clients support it, so probably not worth the trouble unless it can
be done in a couple of hours)
  - Remove unused keywords from mailboxes
  - Some other small things

Upcoming v1.1/v1.2/v2.0 features (planned to be implemented at the end
of the summer):

  - virtual mailboxes:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-May/022828.html
  - dbox redesign:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-May/022602.html

Implementing the above features will keep me busy for most of the
summer, but there have also been requests for replication support
(http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-May/022792.html). I'm
interested in implementing it as well, but unfortunately it looks like I
don't have time for it at least for the next 3 months or so.

There's already at least one company that's willing to pay for
replication, but if you're also interested please let me know. Perhaps
someone else could implement it instead (if you're interested, please
let me know), or if not it'll just have to wait until I have time for
it.