[Dovecot] Better flagging of errors on logs?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 21 02:07:46 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 10:18 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Last night dovecot died because of time changed backward.
> I noticed that the line from dovecot read
>
> Oct  9 01:00:44 mailstore16 dovecot: Time just moved backwards by 132
> seconds. This might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill myself now.
>
> Shouldn't such lines have the word "Error" or "Fatal"?

If you log directly to file it contains "Error:" prefix. With v1.1 it
contains "Fatal:". Currently these aren't inserted with syslog because
the logging level already contains that information. But I guess most
syslogs don't then write the level to the log, so maybe the error/fatal
prefix should be sent to syslog as well. I'm not sure.

> If I set the log_path = to a file, will syslog messages still be generated?

No.