[Dovecot] Deliver, sendmail & envelope From_

Frank Behrens frank at pinky.sax.de
Tue Sep 25 09:20:09 EEST 2007

Rich Winkel <rich at math.missouri.edu> wrote on 24 Sep 2007 18:05:
> Under freebsd 4.x, the native mail.local that sendmail uses by
> default writes From_ lines that include the origin address.  This
> is very readily parsable and handy for quick greps in mboxes.  But
> deliver defaults it to MAILER-DAEMON.  I see you can specify the
> envelope From_ with "-f", but I'm not sure how that's useful.
>
> Also I'm trying to figure out the instructions for making deliver the
> default delivery program under sendmail.  This is a very plain vanilla
> setup I have here, procmail is not configured into sendmail.cf so I'm
> not sure how to adapt the instructions at wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail
> Any help would be much appreciated.  I've appended my local mailer
> stuff below.  Should I just substitute deliver's path for mail.local?

I use sendmail with dovecot's deliver to be able to use the sieve plugin. In my sendmail
configuration I replaced the local mailer with:

define(`LOCAL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver')
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS',`DFMPhfnu9')
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS',`deliver -d $u')

MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)

Note the mailer flag "f", thats adds a "-f fromaddress" argument to the deliver program.

I have also a proposal for an enhancement to handle plussed addresses, but I'll create a new
thread for this topic.

Regards,
   Frank
--
Frank Behrens, Osterwieck, Germany
PGP-key 0x5B7C47ED on public servers available.