[Dovecot] Moving Maildir email messages and backing things up.

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Apr 21 02:12:56 EEST 2008

I just moved to dovecot with Maildir. I think this is probably a stupid question, but I
couldn't find an answer after an hour of googling and searching the wiki.

What would happen if I ran a script that did this:

mv ~/Maildir/.folder_one/cur/* ~/Maildir/.folder_two/cur/

My hunch is it might break things.

What if dovecot was stopped?

,.,.,.

Where can I find a list of files in ~/Maildir/ and a note on what they are? (And similarly
for a ~/Maildir/.folder)

I'm wondering if everything needs to be backed up, or if I can/should skip the indexes.
What happens if any of these files changes during the backup? (I'm thinking I shouldn't have
to stop dovecot for a backup).

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

"Give me four parameters and I can fit an elephant;
Give me five and I can wag its tail."
(The source of the above quote?? Variants have been
attributed to C.F. Gauss, Niels Bohr, Lord Kelvin, Enrico Fermi.)