[Dovecot] freebsd 7, panics - kqueue?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 12 16:20:08 EET 2008

On Dec 12, 2008, at 4:01 PM, <mike-maillist at nux.co.uk> <mike-maillist at nux.co.uk
 > wrote:

> i am tempted to simply disable kqueue in dovecot but am not sure
> on the performance penalties.

kqueue is used for two things:

1) As regular ioloop, replacing select/poll. Not using kqueue here
shouldn't make pretty much any performance difference.

2) As file notifier. When IMAP client starts IDLE command, kqueue
notifies Dovecot immediately when new files are added to maildir.
Disabling kqueue here doesn't make the performance worse, but it
causes delays when notifying client about new mails (0 sec -> max. 30
sec by default - configurable).

> 0xc04c4c4d is in knlist_remove_kq (/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_event.c:
> 1615).

I don't know much about FreeBSD kernel either, but yes that does look
like kqueue code.