[Dovecot] Please help me resolve why mail isn't being delivered to virtual users

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Jan 10 05:23:45 EET 2008

At 8:33 PM -0700 1/8/08, Andrew Falanga wrote:
>On Jan 8, 2008 7:31 AM, Bill Cole <dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com>
>wrote:
>
>>  At 6:52 AM -0500 1/8/08, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>  >Andrew Falanga, on 1/7/2008 11:18 PM, said the following:
>>  >>What must be done to make sendmail do its thing for deliver?
>>  >
>>  >I don't think its because anyone is snubbing you... ;)
>>  >
>>  >I think one of the reasons is not as many people use sendmail
>>  >anymore - I wouldn't have a clue... sorry...
>>
>>  I think it is more a matter of this sounding very much like strictly
>>  a Sendmail problem posed in the wrong forum for Sendmail problems,
>>  further weakened by the inclusion of no details about the specific
>>  nature of the problem or the existing configuration. A well-posed
>>  question (e.g. with log and config info) to a more suitable forum
>>  (e.g. comp.mail.sendmail) would almost surely get more response.
>

>Ok, that's constructive.  If I'm not posting enough data, please tell me.
>I'll get you what you need.  I thought I was being quite verbose (please see
>some of the other posts too), but if the information isn't enough I need to
>know.  Silence doesn't help anyone.

As I said: this looks like a Sendmail configuration and behavior
problem, so your Sendmail config (probably just the mailer
definition) and relevant log entries from Sendmail would be essential
to know what is or is not happening. Configuration details and log
entries are essential in any case, as are precise descriptions of
*how* something fails instead of just a statement *that* it fails.

And also repeating: I don't think this is the best place for you to
find answers  for what looks likely to be a Sendmail configuration
problem. As Charles' comment points up, there are not a lot of
Sendmail admins on this list. I have been running Sendmail systems
for well over a decade, and expect to do so for a little while to
come yet, but I don't use Dovecot with Sendmail. On the
Postfix+Dovecot system I run, I don't use the Dovecot LDA. I don't
recall anyone discussing the use of the Dovecot LDA with Sendmail
here. The best analog to this list for Sendmail problems is the
Usenet newsgroup comp.mail.sendmail, and I expect that would be the
best place for you to get help IF you provide the essential
information about your problem.

>>  To some degree it probably also involves the fact that the Dovecot
>>  LDA is still something of a novelty, and it not as widely used as the
>>  traffic on this list might lead one to believe. The Dovecot LDA does
>>  not provide enough of a compelling feature set to overpower the
>>  inertia of sticking with the standard delivery agent(s). That's not
>>  specific to Sendmail.
>>

>I didn't realize this.  With the wiki page on how to set it up, I figured
>that I should be using this.

What you *should* be running is a local question: you have to answer
it based on what you need. The Dovecot IMAP/POP server is very solid
*without* the LDA component, and works reasonably well with mailboxes
fed by MTA standard delivery agents.
--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com