[Dovecot] Authentication problems - SOLVED

Rodti MacLeary rodti at macleary.com
Tue Sep 2 21:55:57 EEST 2008

On 1 Sep 2008, at 13:34, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 13:29 +0100, Rodti MacLeary wrote:
>> In this install Postfix passes SASL authentication to Dovecot.  For
>> most
>> clients using SSL this works fine, but as soon as SSL is off it
>> fails.
>> This is despite having disable_plaintext_auth set to 'no'.
>> Furthermore it
>> appears that some clients w/SSL are also failing.  Outlook being
>> the major
>> culprit.  I'm completely stumped.
>
> Dovecot's disable_plaintext_auth setting doesn't affect Postfix.

Not sure which of the following actually fixed it, but added
'broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes' to my Postfix main.cf and changed my
dovecot.conf 'mechanisms' to 'login plain' instead of 'plain login'.
Now all is well.

Thanks to everyone for their help, particularly Roger for his offlist
advice on installing 1.1.3.

r.