[Dovecot] Panic: IMAP: Trying to allocate 2273345672 bytes

Mark Zealey Mark.Zealey at webfusion.com
Thu Sep 11 11:48:53 EEST 2008

> > About our setup: These are on an nfs-mounted file system.
> It's shared
> > between two computers and connections are randomly
> redirected to either
> > box; so potentially it could be an nfs type corruption
> issue. Timo, I'll
> > send you a tarball of the dovecot* files off-list
>
> Sounds like it could be because of NFS caching issues. You've set
> mail_nfs_index=yes, right? What OS? Linux should be OK, but
> FreeBSD has
> some issues.

Thanks for the patch; I've not seen any issues to do with nfs caching
before and we've had this live on very heavily loaded systems for
several months now. We use exim with deliver to deliver the messages
(maildir only). Relevant config:

mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mmap_disable: yes
mail_nfs_storage: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes
lock_method: dotlock
maildir_copy_preserve_filename: yes

Linux (centos5.2 w/updates). Mount options:
rw,noatime,nodiratime,hard,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,tcp,nocto

Mark