[Dovecot] Excluding ALT maildir from showing in main INBOX

OBRAM - Tomasz Przewlucki tomasz.przewlucki at obram.pl
Thu Dec 3 14:56:23 EET 2009

2009-12-02 19:01, Timo Sirainen :
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 4:43 AM, Tomasz Przewlucki wrote:
>
>> I would like to create namespace or virtual folder and
>> include those ALT maildirs as so called Archive (f.e. prefix).
>>
>> Is that
>> (excluding ALT from default view) possible ?
>>
> No, and I don't think it's really the right way to do this.. So it sounds like you want automatic archiving of mails. I suppose expire plugin would be a good solution for this, it would just need a new feature to move mails instead of expunge or altmove.

Hi Timo!
Thanks for your answer, it's bad to hear that my conception won't work
because automatic archiving of mails from standard folders would be a
great feature and i suppose there are many admins interested in such
solution.

I'm not a programmer and don't know if such feature is hard to code but
theoretically extended expire plugin could work in that way.
It could use new variable f.e. ARCHIVE (similar to ALT ) to select
location for archive and i think ALT and ARCHIVE could exclude each
other from using together (for easier implementation, ARCHIVE can play
role of ALT with such difference that it's contents wouldn't show in
standard INBOX and rest of standard folders.).

Are there any chances to implement such functionality into dovecot in
near future (4-5 months or so) ?

Best regards!
Tomasz Przewlucki