[Dovecot] ¿DC won't start? "leaked file fd 5:"

mathemat at gmx.net mathemat at gmx.net
Fri Feb 6 07:48:07 EET 2009

Hi Gents,
(apologizes, new here...)
I didn't find any hint on G**gle nor in the Dovecot archieve (maybe due to the lack of a search function :), so:

I installed Doovecot, but can't get it going.
The logfile states:
> mail.info dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.15 starting up
> mail.err dovecot: auth(default): Panic: Leaked file fd 5: dev 0.10 inode 3
> mail.err dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down

I tried many obscure things to recover, but had no luck so far. As long i am just guessing around (auth? dev 0.10?? maybe SSL config?), i have no clue what happens here :(.
To make things more interesting: the installation lives on an embedded device (xscale, aka arm w/4MB RAM), where are no extended debug features available (like ltrace, ldd,...), and no newer packages (if exist) available.

Tried so far:
* uninstall (ipkg remove)
* rm'd all files listed in the package description + /var/run/dc/*
* reinstall (ipkg install)
* changed the config file (in many ways... but what??)

The init-script does mainly "/opt/sbin/dovecot", so i tried that command on the CLI(bash) to be sure no script mangles fd's around. "echo $?" gives "0" then, but no DC process is running- log messages as above.

I have no clue what to do abt that- where's the point??
Can this hopefully be done whithout installing the complete gcc toolchain and compiling a newer version from source, but by just adapting the config? 8-|

Any helpful hints appreciated!,
acend