[Dovecot] great disappearing email mystery

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sat Feb 14 16:59:44 EET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2/12/2009, Maarten Bezemer (mcbdovecot at robuust.nl) wrote:
>> I can see 1.1.9-1 in Experimental, but not even in Unstable yet. So
>> I'm not ready to try it on production machines.
>
> I could never use a distro that required me to use outdated/buggy
> software...

So you prefer to use the new&shiny versions of the software that include
all new&shiny bugs? Given my experience with a lot of software, that's
just not an acceptable policy. Not everything is as bad as Microsoft
software, which usually needs at least Service Pack 1 to operate normally,
but in general, bleeding edge isn't the way to go.

For production environments, I'm more than happy with Debian Stable plus
backports versions of things like dovecot. That way I don't have to worry
about upgrading every single package by hand when (not if) security
updates have to be applied, and still have the advantage of running a
close-to-bleeding-edge version of packages like dovecot. Without having to
do much about it when new versions come out. If they prove to be good
enough for unstable and testing, I can grab them and use them.