[Dovecot] setting up home directories

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Tue Nov 17 04:07:31 EET 2009

Hello,

I have not been using the home directory but I read in MailLocation.txt that
I probably should.  Does dovecot create each directory?  What does it put in
there?  My server uses mbox format.  My users all look like this:

[root at sendmail log]# finger chayes
Login: chayes                           Name: 50387.00
Directory: /home/chayes                 Shell: /sbin/nologin
Never logged in.
Mail last read Mon Nov 16 19:56 2009 (CST)
No Plan.

So each user does have a home directory assigned, but it is never created.
Here is my current mail_location:

mail_location =
mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u

Do I just add the maildir component as follows:

mail_location =
mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u:maildir:/home
/u%

I'm confused by the MailLocation.txt entry below which says not to mix
maildir and mbox formats.

--
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=~/Maildir/.INBOX

Note that it's still not possible to mix maildir and mbox formats this way.
You
need to use<namespaces> [Namespaces.txt] for that.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff