[Dovecot] How to know if dovecot director is running OK?

Antonio Perez-Aranda aperezaranda at yaco.es
Fri Nov 26 15:53:37 EET 2010

I'm using director on dovecot 2.0

At present, I know that two instances are connected, If I stop of one
system, then I can watch how to the connections are closed on port
5000. I defined 5000 as director port.

I have one user (user1) connected to kvm1 (192.168.13.100) and kvm2
(192.168.13.101) servers vía telnet

telnet kvm1 143 and then login

telnet kvm2 143 and then login

If try to execute doveadm director status I can watch the two server like that:

[root at kvm1 ~]# doveadm director status
mail server ip                           vhosts users
192.168.13.100                              100     0
192.168.13.101                              100     0

If I try to find if a server has been asigned to user, but I don't
know if it is running correctly

[root at kvm1 ~]# doveadm director status user1
Current: not assigned
Hashed: 192.168.13.101
Initial config: 192.168.13.101

[root at kvm2 ~]# doveadm director status user1
Current: not assigned
Hashed: 192.168.13.101
Initial config: 192.168.13.101

Is there any way to test if it really running?