[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 20 17:09:28 EEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 20:07 +0200, Matthias Quernheim wrote:
> I upgraded today to from 1.2.12 to Dovecot 2.0.3 with the dbox format. I
> just figured out there are still mail in some users directories with the
> maildir format. These mail are not displayed at all. Nether with
> roundcube nor with Thunderbird. How could I convert the remaining
> maildir mails to dbox?

So you mean with v1.2 you used the "quick maildir migration" and there
were still some maildir files left? Are there many users with this
problem? I was kind of hoping there wouldn't be many people with this
problem.. :) There's no clean way to make it work. A couple of ideas:

a) Just re-deliver all the mails with dovecot-lda -m <mailbox>. Problem
is that the mails aren't sorted correctly by their UID (but if you use
sorting by received date that doesn't really matter).

b) To preserve UID ordering, do something like: convert all mails to
maildir with dsync, copy the missing maildir files there and add them to
dovecot-uidlist manually (or just delete all dovecot.index* and
dovecot-uidlist files to get new UIDs) and convert back to sdbox.