[Dovecot] segfault in dovecot 2.0.9

Morten Stevens mstevens at imt-systems.com
Thu Aug 18 23:55:09 EEST 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:02:57 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 19:52 +0200, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
>> Jun  9 00:12:34 mail dovecot: master: Error: service(imap): child
>> 8987
>> killed with signal 11 (core dumps disabled)
>
> There's really no way to know why this happens without a gdb
> backtrace.
> See http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
>
>> # dovecot -n
>> # 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> It's also possible that it has already been fixed in newer versions.

Hi Timo,

Small update on this: In 6 months the error occurred only once. The bug
was not reproducible.

There was a BIOS update for IBM servers which fixes the following
microcode error:

- Fixed : Intel microcode fix for a potential memory addressing error
in 64-bit
           operating mode; it could cause page fault, data loss, data
corruption
           or other unpredictable system behavior.

So I am assuming that it was not a Dovecot bug.

Best regards,

Morten