[Dovecot] re-indexing moved mail

David Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Wed Jan 5 07:24:03 EET 2011

 On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:20:10 -0500, Charles Marcus
 <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2011-01-04 5:55 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
>> I have a huge block of email that was misdelivered into the wrong
>> folder.  Moving it where it should be is not just all from one
>> folder
>> to being all of another folder.
>
> Not sure what you mean here, but...
>
>> Basically, the index files need to be rebuilt. Looking in the wiki I
>> cannot find how to do this. It all seems to be about installation,
>> and no administrative tools.
>>
>> Or would it be just as simple as delete certain index files and they
>> would be automagically rebuilt?
>
> The indexes will be rebuilt the next time the client connects... no
> need
> to even delete them - but yes, if you manually delete them, then
> dovecot
> will rebuild them next time the client connects as well.

 If you want to rebuild the indexes before the client logs in, have you
 looked at doveadm? Specifically, I think
 http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/ForceResync may do what you're
 looking for.

 If you're still using 1.x I've heard that people are able to compile
 2.0 and use the doveadm binary on 1.x installations, but don't quote me
 on that.