[Dovecot] size of "m.XXX" in mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 6 00:15:30 EET 2011

On 6.1.2011, at 0.07, Joan Moreau wrote:

> How to tune the size of each "m.xxx" file in mdbox format , in
> order to optimize the ratio size/number of files ? (I can see for
> instance more than 100 000 files in one directory due to very large
> mailbox size)

mdbox_rotate_size setting sets the max size of one mdbox file. There's really no ratio setting.. It would be difficult since as more messages get added more files would have to be merged, which would generate extra disk I/O, and typically people care about disk I/O rather than the inode count.

> If such parameter exists, what is the typical value ?

Default is 2 MB files.