[Dovecot] Best Cluster Storage

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Jan 13 11:00:27 EET 2011

Am 13.01.2011 08:22, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I wish to create a Postfix/Dovecot active-active cluster (each node will
> run Postfix *and* Dovecot), which will obviously have to use central
> storage. I'm looking for ideas to see what's the best out there. All of
> this will be running on multiple Xen hosts, however I don't think that
> matters as long as I make sure that the cluster nodes are on different
> physical boxes.
>
> Here are my ideas so far for the central storage:
>
> 1) NFS Server using DRBD+LinuxHA. Export the same NFS share to each mail
> server. Which this seems easy, how well does Dovecot work with NFS? I've
> read the wiki page, and it doesn't sound promising. But it may be
> outdated..
>
> 2) Export block storage using iSCSI from targets which have GFS2 on
> DRBD+LinuxHA. This is tricky to get working well, and it's only a theory.
>
> 3) GlusterFS. Easy to set up, but apparently very slow to run.
>
> So what's everybody using? I know that Postfix runs well on NFS
> (according to their docs). I intend to use Maildir
>
> Thanks

i have drbd and ocfs with keepalive
on ubuntu lucid, 2 loadbalancers, 2 mailservers
with postfix and dovecot2 maildirs,clamav-milter,spamass-milter,sqlgrey,
master-master mysql
additional horde webmail on apache at both servers
no problem so far, but for now i have only ca 100 mailboxes yet

i wouldnt recommend nfs for mailstore
if you want use gfs you might use better some redhat (clone)
last time i tested it on ubuntu , i couldnt get it running as i expected
it ( this may changed now...)

i dont think there is some best solution
depends on you hardware, finance resources, number of wanted mailboxes etc

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria