[Dovecot] SSD drives are really fast running Dovecot

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Sat Jan 15 21:50:12 EET 2011

Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi at onet.eu> wrote:
> Sven Hartge <sven at svenhartge.de> wrote:
>> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi at onet.eu> wrote:

>>> Do not confuse "unix culture" of mostly plain text only email
>>> messages with "MS Junk" culture of overblown formatting with
>>> background images company logos as a few image files in every
>>> (internal) email.
>>
>> I just did a rough analysis of the mail spool of my university (6.000
>> users, students and faculty staff, about 10 million mails) and the
>> average mail size was at about 96KiB. Last year, this average was at
>> 77KiB and in 2009 we were at 62KiB.
>>
>> Mails the average size of 4KiB would then have been at a time when
>> MIME was not yet invented, I believe. Somewhere in 1994.

> I assume that in bigger organizations most mail stored in IMAP storage
> is internal. I also assume that size of typical mail in "unix/linux
> culture" and "MS culture" do differ. It may explain quite different
> experiences.

> Could you elaborate about penetration by MS software/culture
> (especially about MS Exchange) in your university?

Zero on the server side.

We have a central IT which handles all mail and so far no Exchange has
been requested. (Groupware features are handled by Egroupware.)

Many users of course use the mail client installed by default (which
would be Outlook or Live! Mail) and thus produce and receive HTML mails.
>From my Spamassassin statistics I can see about 50% of all incoming
mails are HTML mails, I guess the amount would be the same for outgoing
mails.

Grüße,
Sven

--