[Dovecot] custom maildir location mapping

Vlad Mazek rd at vladville.com
Mon Jan 24 23:30:25 EET 2011

Greetings,

I'm migrating from a sendmail/dovecot setup with system users to a
postfix/dovecot maildir setup with virtual users. To simplify the mess we've
gotten into by having users that can't remember their username, we've
switched to email address being the username. In order to allow for a smooth
migration, I need to allow users to be able to login with their email
address as well as their (old) username for about a month or so.

I have all the usernames, email addresses and passwords stored in SQL and
I'm generating the userdb and passworddb manually.

Is there any way to create a userdb and passworddb so that users can login
with either username or email address and have dovecot locate their maildir
without an issue?

For example, I'd like to be able to login as either vlad or
vlad at vladville.com and have dovecot locate my maildir:/var/spool/mail/%d/%n;
I'd really appreciate any thoughts, ideas and examples anyone is willing to
share. I'm really looking to avoid a shotgun approach ("On Feb 1, your new
username is your email address").

Here are some notes on the currently functioning setup:
I'm running dovecot 1.0.7 on CentOS 5.5 x64 with Postfix 2.3.3
mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/%d/%n
userdb static { args = uid=virtual gid=virtual home=/var/mail/%d/%u }
passdb passwd-file { args = /etc/dovecot/passwd }

user at domain.com:{HMAC-MD5}1b05f379...