[Dovecot] Dotlock dovecot-uidlist errors / NFS / High Load

Harlan Stenn Harlan.Stenn at pfcs.com
Tue Jan 25 00:07:57 EET 2011

Michael wrote:

> We tested the patch you suggested with no success.  We are seeing
> timestamps straying into the 100's of seconds of difference, which
> does not reflect the perceivable drift that shows on our systems clock
> (which is negligible, sub 1 second).  Currently we run against two
> stratum 2 servers that get their time from two stratum 1 servers, and
> per Stan's suggestions earlier we are rebuilding the stratum 2
> machines on bare metal hardware (not in a virtual machine) to be sure
> the clocks will be super stable.  I guess what I am asking is if you
> have ever seen an issue similar to this and if NTP actually played a
> role.  I have spent some time reviewing the mailing list archives and
> have not found a definitive answer from other Dovecot user's
> experiences.

(posting from my work account...)

Barring strange hardware or OS behavior, NTP is generally really good at
what it does.

There are known problems with some hardware and some OSes (and virtual
environments in particular).

See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/TroubleshootingNTP for more
information.

And just to try the direct approach, if correct time and NTP are
important to you, please join the NTP Forum.  We need the support.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!