[Dovecot] Multiple Concurrent IMAP Connections For Same User

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Wed Jan 26 14:14:22 EET 2011

On 26/01/2011 13:08, Giles Coochey wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 12:29, Nigel Webber wrote:
>> I should have mentioned that this is not iPhone specific, the same
>> behaviour may be observed for 2 simultanious connections from 2
>> separate machines running Thunderbird.
>>
>> TLS/SSL is used on both.
>>
>> dovecot config file below:
>>
>> mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
>>
> try reducing mbox_write_locks to just fcntl

And if you're using postfix... you may need to make changes there...

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MboxLocking

    Postfix

Postfix has two different ways to deliver to mboxes. One is the
"mailbox" transport and another one is the "virtual" transport.

# postconf|grep mailbox_delivery_lock
mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock
# postconf|grep virtual_mailbox_lock
virtual_mailbox_lock = fcntl

In the above case, if you used the "mailbox" transport, you'd have to
change Dovecot's configuration to mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock or
vice versa for Postfix.

If you used the "virtual" transport, it doesn't really matter if the
"dotlock" is missing, since the "fcntl" is common with Dovecot and Postfix.

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd