[Dovecot] Please advise on very fast search

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Nov 10 02:50:07 EET 2011

On 11/9/2011 10:40 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 19:16 +0300, Alexander Chekalin wrote:
>> Will also try to use full text search,
>> but afraid of index size (and I need no search on body, just on headers).
>
> It wouldn't be difficult to patch Dovecot to skip indexing message
> bodies. Of course then you'd need to remember to keep applying the patch
> when updating.

Also keep in mind that, in general, many/most message headers today are
often as large, or larger than, the actual message body, especially for
list mail.  Just take a look at messages from this for evidence.

Thus, I'd think that going out of your way to avoid indexing message
bodies wouldn't be worth the effort/headaches involved.

--
Stan