[Dovecot] Question about imaps

jgiles at cybermesa.com jgiles at cybermesa.com
Mon Nov 21 18:40:02 EET 2011

On Mon, November 21, 2011 8:44 am, jgiles at cybermesa.com wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> Had a questions about imap vs. imaps.
>
> I read the ssl article at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL and from what I am
> reading, imaps is no longer needed as imap with initiate SSL/TLS on its
> own if STARTTLS is started and I have disable_plaintext_auth=yes and
> ssl=required settings.
>
> I do have SSL up and working, and can connect using imap (143) to my
> server without issue, but was not able to connect using imaps (993) using
> Kmail as my client.
>
> I Was getting a client error stating that the authentication failed using
> my password. However, there was nothing in the mail.err or mail.log file
> even when I enable debugging.
>
> If I specify imaps as my only protocol, then dovecot fails to even start
> without any error loging at all.
>
> As I stated, imap works just fine.
>
> So, is imaps deprecated as mentioned in the article and imaps no longer
> needed?
>
> I am running Dovecot 2.0.13 on an Ubuntu 11.10 64bit server.
> This server is simply an imap serer and not a MTA (No postfix or sendmail
> installed.)
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

LOL, replying to my own e-mail...

I just discovered that the problem is most likely in my Kmail 2 client.

Tried to connect using the following:

openssl s_client -connect mymailserver.com:993

I was able to connect, log in, and get information about my mail folders.

Will try Thunderbird when I get home from work. Kmail 2 is still a WIP I
guess.

That said, I am still reading that imap with starttls is the way to go, so
might be a moot issue.

Thanks!
Joe