[Dovecot] v2.1.rc1 released

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Fri Nov 25 12:48:14 EET 2011

El 24/11/11 21:35, Miguel Tormo escribió:
> El Jueves, 24 de Noviembre de 2011 20:25:47 Timo Sirainen escribió:
>> I'm not sure if changing /etc/security/limits.conf helps. It's probably
>> only used by PAM when user logs in, so if Dovecot is started in system
>> bootup it's unlikely to have been even read yet. Also I think some OSes
>> override the limits in /etc/init.d/ scripts. Of course, I could be
>> completely wrong in all of the above, I haven't really tested any of
>> it
>
> Well actually this is tricky, I'm not sure if it would work after a system boot, but I'm sure it works after a reboot of the service. It is also true what you say that some OSes override the limits in the /etc/init.d/ scripts, for example issuing an 'ulimit -n 4096' (if using bash) before dropping privileges (that should be inherited, but if privileges are dropped using "su" or something that uses PAM, then the /etc/security/limits.conf file comes into play again).

I tested this "intensively" some time ago, and Timo is right -as usual
:) -: modifications in limits.conf are only relevant after a login. This
means that they are not enforced at system boot, but they are if you
reboot the service by hand (because you have already logged in).

The permanent solution is, as Noel Butler has pointed, modifying the
startup script and using ulimit before actually starting dovecot.

HTH