[Dovecot] Switch from MySQL/CourierMail to MySQL/Dovecot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 11 15:44:28 EET 2012

On 12/11/2012 08:25 AM, Ricardo wrote:
> 2012/12/7 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
>> Hello, new here.
>>
>> I am a Centos/Fedora user, and for the past 3 years have been running my
>> mail server using Postfix/MySQL/CourierMail/Squirrelmail on Fedora.  The
>> current incantation of the tutorial is at:
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.2-x86_64
>>
>> Well it is time to rebuild my mailserver; this time on Centos 6.3. My goal
>> is to use supplied rpms, not to build my own (and rebuild everytime there is
>> an important update).  So I am pulling quotas which has been a pain anyway,
>> and I am investigating using Dovecot in place of CourierMail.  In Centos
>> 6.3, the version of Dovecot is: 2.0.9-2
>>
>> I am looking for a tutorial to assist in the setup, as I am nowhere an
>> expert on any of this (I am a communications security expert in the IETF and
>> IEEE 802).  There are a couple items that I have come to depend on in my
>> current setup that are musts in anything new:
>>
>> Virtual user/domain
>>
>> That is, not only virtual domains, but also users defined by domain.  So in
>> the MySQL user table, the email value is set to user at domain.  Thus a user
>> can receive/send mail from multiple domains with the same addr and only
>> those domains defined for the user in the user table.
>>
>> Obviously there is no coupling of Linux user accounts and email accounts.
>> CourierMail is storing mail under /home/vmail/domain/user/...
>>
>> Encrypted passwords
>>
>> The passwords in the user table in MySQL are encrypted.  This will be used
>> to auth the user for POPing or IMAPing and sending their mail.  I have
>> encountered a few tutorials where it seems like passwords are stored in the
>> clear?
>>
>> Anyway, not much else!  Well as far as the user interface is concerned.
>> Postfix with clamav and spamassassin and maybe one or two extras.  And
>> SquirrelMail for Webmail.  A better gui than phpMyAdmin for maintaining the
>> tables would be nice, but I don't have a lot of users, so it works well
>> enough.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a tutorial best suited to my needs?
>>
>> Also any firewall rules, as I don't want to turn off iptables (and
>> ip6tables) and any SELinux policy rules to add.
>>
>> Oh, and IPv6 will be a must in the near future, so anything needed to ensure
>> IPv6 working right as well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Hola  a todos
>
> disculpen por mi idioma español..

Sorry, I am dyslexic and basically flunked High School Spanish some 45
years ago...

(they really did not know what dyslexia was back then)

Really wish I COULD understand what you wrote.

> aqui eh llegado hacer andar mi servidor de correo,  aquí te paso un
> link que esta muy bien explicado aver si te sirve
>

> http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot-mysql/

Someone else (in another conversation) sent me this link last night.  I
am reading it and figuring out how to apply it to Centos.

I ASSuME that you are pointing me to this link as a tutorial  :)  !!