[Dovecot] mdbox with separate index location results in many emptydirectories

Jürgen Obermann Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Fri Jul 20 15:46:04 EEST 2012

Hallo,

I use dovecot 2.1.7 with mdbox format and I specified a separate
location for mailbox index files with

mail_location = mdbox:/dovecot/storage%h:INDEX=/dovecot/index%h

With this setting I get for every mailbox a directory under both
filesystems /dovecot/index and /dovecot/storage, e.g. for the inbox it
looks like that:

# ls -lR /dovecot/index/home/hrz/myuser/mailboxes/INBOX
/dovecot/storage/home/hrz/myuser/mailboxes/INBOX
/dovecot/index/home/hrz/myuser/mailboxes/INBOX:
total 49
-rw-------   1 myuser     hrz        20480 Jul 20 11:12 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------   1 myuser     hrz         1280 Jul 20 08:00 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------   1 myuser     hrz          301 Jul 19 16:45 dovecot.index.search
-rw-------   1 myuser     hrz           20 Jul 19 16:45
dovecot.index.search.uids

/dovecot/storage/home/hrz/myuser/mailboxes/INBOX:
total 3
drwx------   2 myuser     hrz            2 Jul 19 15:20 dbox-Mails

/dovecot/storage/home/hrz/myuser/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails:
total 0

As expected the index files now reside under
/dovecot/index%h/mailboxes/, but the path
/dovecot/storage%h/mailboxes/ also contains for every user and every
mailbox name a directory which in turn contains only an empty
subdirectory 'dbox-Mails'.  These directories seem to me to sum up to
a lot of unneded infrstructure objects. I tried to delete these empty
directories, but dovecot did not like that and stopped to work. So
somehow they are necessary, in spite of setting a separate index file
location.

So my question is, could these empty directories be avoided, perhaps
in a future version?

Greetings,
Juergen

Hochschulrechenzentrum der | Mail: Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Justus-Liebig-Universitaet | WWW:  http://www.uni-giessen.de/obermann/
Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44      | Tel:  0641-99-13054 (0641-99-13001)
D-35392 Giessen, Germany   | Fax:  0641-99-13009