[Dovecot] Only method=PLAIN

Бранко Мајић branko at majic.rs
Fri May 18 01:25:00 EEST 2012

Yep, that's the way it works. In effect the LDAP server can use any
schema for storing its passwords, since you can then authenticate onto
the LDAP server itself, using Dovecot as a kind of proxy.

In effect LDAP server can store different user passwords in different
schemas as well (I'd recommend going with the default SSHA - salted SHA
- at least) - which can be useful when you're making a transition from,
say, some SQL-based backend onto LDAP (been there, done that, although
with Samba).

The authentication mechanism lets you specify in which way you want to
transfer the password over the network (and, of course, nothing beats
using STARTTLS/SSL in terms of encryption security - so you really
should rely on that one when it comes down to securing the
communications channel - note that weak passwords can't be really
protected in this way :) ).

Дана Thu, 17 May 2012 22:10:43 +0100
Tim Smith <tim at titan21.co.uk> написа:

--
Branko Majic
Jabber: branko at majic.rs
Please use only Free formats when sending attachments to me.

Бранко Мајић
Џабер: branko at majic.rs
Молим вас да додатке шаљете искључиво у слободним форматима.