[Dovecot] Director and backend on the same server

James Devine fxmulder at gmail.com
Tue May 8 21:55:19 EEST 2012

I have setup director and a backend dovecot service on the same machine
using different ports.  The backend service is listening on the default 24,
110 and 143 for lmtp, pop3 and imap respectively.  Director is listening on
10024, 10110 and 10143 for the same respective services.

I can get this setup to work if I have one backend server on a different IP
listening on 10024, it seems director tries to use the same port it is
listening on when making backend connections.

If I point it to the local backend server, it tries to connect to itself
which fails.  Is there a way to specify the backend ports that director
tries to connect to?  I see there is a way to specify the port
in director_servers but I'm not sure how I would specify the different
ports for the different backend services, if this is even possible.