[Dovecot] Vacation messages come from POSTMASTER, not user

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Nov 26 22:28:05 EET 2012

On 11/26/2012 6:59 PM, Ben Morrow wrote:
> At  5PM +0000 on 26/11/12 you (cfowler) wrote:

> This setting turns that check off, in which case Pigeonhole
> will send a vacation response (despite the standard) but sends it from
> Postmaster.

Actually, this shouldn't have happened. Originally, it would only use
'Postmaster' when the recipient address is unknown, but that situation
would never occur. With the addition of the dont_check_recipient
setting, this got changed unintentionally.

> I assume this is done for privacy reasons, since the person
> the vacation response is being sent to doesn't necessarily know the user
> who set the vacation exists, or what their address might be.

Interesting notion, but the real reason is of a more stupid nature as
explained above. :) Do you think this is something people would want to
configure? Since this particular feature deviates from the standard to
begin with, nothing is specified about what should be done.  I think the
added anonymity would often be useless, because the content of the
vacation message can contain all sorts of information on the recipient,
including the mail address, e.g. in the signature.

> If you send a message with the user's email address in To:, do you get a
> vacation response From: the correct address?

Since the recipient check is not performed, the recipient address used
for the reply remained NULL and the reply code would revert to
Postmaster at all times. This is fixed now.

Regards,

Stephan.