[Dovecot] Clarifications on Pigeonhole and MySQL lookups

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Oct 11 23:35:21 EEST 2012

On 10/10/2012 11:23 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hello,
> we're scouting if it's possible to use Pigeonhole (currently v0.3.1,
> as this will be provided with an upcoming Debian package) with MySQL
> dict lookups with the mail setup we're designing.
>
> Our (main) goals are:
>
> 1. store the filters on the database
That is possible with some limitations.

> 2. allow each user to enable/disable any of the filters set we provide
> (it's a static set of some general filters, available to all the
> users; we're currently not providing the possibility to users to write
> their own filters)
Will one or multiple scripts be active at the same time?

> For point 1) we already see[1] that's possible, but it uses the map
> construct that might not fit with our current database structure: we
> have a domain table (storing the domain info) and a mailbox table
> (storing the mailbox info, but the username is composed by the local
> part, stored in this table, and the domain part is a FK to the domain
> table, using an id).
>
> Do you think it's possible to run a join query on domain+mailbox to
> retrieve the mailbox_id needed to query the table for the filters? Or
> do we have to create the filter table and store the local at domain.ext
> info there ("relaxing" the integrity relationships between tables)?

My SQL is a bit rusty, but afaik this is possible with a JOIN or a
nested query.

> How do we specify which filters are enabled for any given user? We
> originally thought of an "Enabled" field on the filter table, but in
> the example in the doc[1] I hadn't seen a way to do that: it seems
> like the filter list is specified in the proxy definition - am I
> wrong? How can we do that?

The above suggests that you would like to activate multiple Sieve
scripts at the same time. That is currently not possible with the dict
Script location. It is on my TODO list, but I am not sure when it will
be ready (definitely not for coming Debian stable).

For Dovecot v2.2 the new :optional tag for the Sieve include command
could be used in - combination with the dict Sieve script location type
- to provide some hackish solution. Unfortunately, in your case that is
still not helpful, because v2.2 is not even in beta stage. :/

Regards,

Stephan.