[Dovecot] Small issue with "submission host"

Raphael Ordinas r.ordinas at math.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Oct 26 12:59:06 EEST 2012

Actually, LMTP inet listener is only used for delivery purpose.
I separated the MTA and the MDA on distinct hosts.
Incomming mails are received by the MTA which proceed to some check
(anti-virus, spams, and aliases) and transport them to the MDA with LMTP.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but i don't see why LMTP is involve in
a sieve forwarding process (or stuff like non delivery mail return) .
According to comments in the "15-lda.conf" file :

    # Binary to use for sending mails.
    #sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail

    # If non-empty, send mails via this SMTP host[:port] instead of
    sendmail.
    submission_host = smtp.mydomain.tld

If you don't use the 'submission_host' option, dovecot will forward mail
with '/usr/sbin/sendmail' binary which use the forwarders you tell it to
use, am i right ?

Regards,

Raphael