[Dovecot] Thunderbird message cache out of sync after repetitive rsyncs...

Thu Dec 26 16:28:09 EET 2013

On 2013-12-24 1:11 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> If the mailbox contents are  identical before/after the copy, you
 > might try copying the indexes over from the old mail server,
 > preserving permissions, creation time, atime, etc.

Can't do this, because the old server doesn't have on disk indexes. It
doesn't have enough disk space left (enabling indexing would probably
cause the filesystem to fill up).

Disk space is one big reason for the migration - the other being that
the old server is... well, so old (about 9 years now)...

:)

> TBird tracks mailboxes by  server name in Account Settings after all.
 > If the server name changes that'll cause TBird to create an
 > alternate local folder hierarchy in the profile directory. And
 > that'll wreak havoc on your indexes, mailbox view, etc.

When I pull the trigger, I'll simple change the DNS pointers, so no, the
server name will not change (from Thunderbird's perspective).

I'm mainly just interested in the end users not having to do anything to
'refresh' their local caches.

Maybe the best solution is a script that deletes all local copies of
.msf files... although I had another thought I'll ask about in a renamed
thread...

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*