[Dovecot] warning regarding quota and mboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 15 08:55:46 EET 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 16:45 +0100, Andreas Meyer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We drive mboxes and maildirs and the dovecot-server is running very well and
> everthing is fine, but I get the following warning in the dovecot-lda-errors.log
> when a mail is delivered to a mbox.
>
> Jan 10 16:29:24 lda(archiv at bitcorner.de): Warning: quota: Namespace '' is not Maildir, skipping for Maildir++ quota
>
> This is what I defined in the dovecot.conf:
>
> mail_home = /var/spool/vhosts/%d/%n
> mail_location = mbox:~/:maildir:~/

How is that setting even working? You're using some early v2.0? It's
supposed to fail:

Error: user x: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Unknown setting:
maildir

> mail_plugins = quota
>
> plugin {
>     quota = maildir:User quota
>     quota_rule = *:storage=500MB
>     quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+10%%
> }
>
> Can I avoid the error above somehow? Namespaces are a bit mysterious for
> me at the moment.

Maildir++ quota works only when delivering to Maildir. If you want to
use some quota backend that works with both mboxes and maildirs, you
could use dict file: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict