[Dovecot] Disable/patch iOS7 Full Body Search

Nicholas Riley njriley at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 11 23:03:55 UTC 2014

In article
<CALDaGLbbJTaGtK7bqY2itUWxnU09gnERW5DqDvNihCeszOqN6Q at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Laif <chris.laif at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I wonder if anyone has done some research on this subject. Apple
> users are complaining loudly [1] about being not able to search the
> inbox since Apple did not change the brain-dead
> full-body-search-behaviour in iOS 7.1.

There don't seem to be any notable changes in iOS 7.1. iOS Mail still
opens lots of simultaneous IMAP connections, eventually complains about
not being able to contact the server, and doesn't seem to do anything
that uses Dovecot's search indexes.

I posted about this a few days ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/76613

but did not hear from anyone else who has had success getting Dovecot
searches from iOS 7 to be performant.  This was disappointing as I spent
quite a bit of time getting Lucene FTS set up, because Timo had
mentioned a few months ago that it should help.

I don't do this for a living — I'm just maintaining a Dovecot server
with a couple of users, but I do happen to have an iPhone and iPad with
iOS 7 and like to search my email from time to time.
--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at illinois.edu>