GETMETADATA UTF8 encoding of folder names instead of UTF7

Bartłomiej Nogaś bart.nogas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 11:46:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have dovecot 2.2.13 instance and I found that (at least for polish
language) folder names in GETMETADATA command response are encoded in UTF8.
Shouldn't it be converted to UTF7?

Both SETMETADATA and GETMETADATA arguments have to be encoded in UTF7, the
problem(?) is related only to server response

example:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
. login user pass
. OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY MOVE METADATA QUOTA ACL
RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
. GETMETADATA "INBOX/&AVs-olaris" (/private/vendor/kolab/folder-type
/shared/vendor/kolab/folder-type)
* METADATA {14}
INBOX/śolaris (/private/vendor/kolab/folder-type NIL
/shared/vendor/kolab/folder-type {4}
mail)
. OK Getmetadata completed.

"INBOX/śolaris" - UTF8