Dovecot keeps creating info files in mail directory instead of home

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:48:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

> On 04/ 1/15 10:12 AM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>
>> My userdb is set up correctly to return home, and mail, and a test with
>> 'doveadm user' verifies this:
>>
>> # doveadm user user at domain
>> field   value
>> uid     1000
>> gid     1000
>> home    /var/domain/user
>> mail    maildir:/var/mail/user at domain
>>
>> I've reloaded, restarted, stopped and started dovecot again - and even
>> deleted the info files in the mail directory just to be sure - but each
>> and
>> every time I log in with imap, dovecot recreates the files again
>> (dovecot.index.log, dovecot-uidlist, etc.) in the mail directory instead
>> of
>> home.
>>

> You forgot to post your config. But the following might help:
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation#indexfiles

Thanks. So I guess I had read http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home
wrongly (specifically, the statement about the home directory being the
"mail user's private state directory"). I thought that state would include
all of these files that I see in the maildir as well.

Thanks for the link to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation#indexfiles. So
that points out that the index files are stored by default in the maildir.

I'm having a hard time finding a similar statement for the control files,
though (includes dovecot-uidvalidity* ?).
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir#Control_files makes no
mention of this. I assume this is also the case?

Back to the home directory: so what sort of "state" is stored in the home
directory exactly? Are all of the files that I see here in the maildir
either control files or index files?

-jf