Problem: mail moved by thunderbird script is invisible to mail clients, but in cur directory

David Gessel gessel at blackrosetech.com
Tue Apr 14 16:59:38 UTC 2015

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Problem: mail moved by thunderbird script is invisible to mail clients, but in cur directory
From: Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de>
To: David Gessel <gessel at blackrosetech.com>
Date: Tue Apr 14 2015 09:07:54 GMT+0300 (Arabic Standard Time)

> On Tue, 14 Apr 2015, David Gessel wrote:
>
>> There's nothing particularly clever: a few conditions to match, then "move message to" the appropriate archive folder.  There's one for every year from 2000 to 2015.  2015 is just barely ahead of need.  2014 has about a year's mail in the cur directory.
>
>> The 2000-2013 folders were filled by Cyrus and were migrated over using IMAP Migrate.  They're fine, and read normally.
>
>> The 2014 layout looks normal to me
>> # ls
>> cur                     dovecot-uidlist         dovecot.index.cache dovecot.index.log.2     new
>> dovecot-keywords        dovecot.index           dovecot.index.log maildirfolder           tmp
>
>> Permissions are the same as every other folder, as is owner:
>> drw-r-----   2 vmail  vmail   9.6K Apr 12 21:13 cur
>
>> I've checked with Thunderbird, Mulberry, Claws, and Sylpheed - none can read the directory.
>
> What does Dovecot log?
>

> -- Steffen Kaiser

Nothing useful as I tried to list it, but just to make sure, I tried copying a new file in and got the immensely useful:

Apr 14 09:48:15 imap(user at domain): Error: rename(/mail/domain/user//.archives.2014/tmp/1429030095.M674819P29788.shiofuki, /mail/domain/user//.archives.2014/cur/1405004806.M943913P44906.shiofuki.domain,S=36977,W=37882:2,S) failed: Permission denied

And checking again I see the above permissions are accurate but incorrect.  640 isn't right for cur, it should be 740.

Curiously, this directory was created by t-bird, but a simple

# chmod 740 cur

and the folder opens correctly.  Thank you, Steffen, for the help!

-David